You woke up this morning, got energized with a cup of coffee, and now you stand by your desk ready to develop an extension for Akeneo PIM. Thank you! Let's give you the tools to do so!
But first, a bit of glossary to make sure we speak the same language.
A bundle for Akeneo PIM enhances the capabilities and/or features of our software. Such bundle is installed on the user interface and customizes the instance as well as the experience of the PIM user. Bundles are usually built by Akeneo developers or Solution Partners with a technical expertise of Akeneo PIM. Indeed, a strong technical understanding of our solution is recommended to develop a powerful bundle.
An Akeneo connector is a bridge between our PIM software and a third-party component or application. It enables to collect data or spread it to one or multiple channel(s). To comply with the Serenity Edition (full-SaaS mode), Akeneo connectors should rely on our web API and be hosted outside the PIM interface. Akeneo API provides all necessary endpoints to connect the PIM structure and entities with any application.
Since this year, Apps are the new way to connect Akeneo PIM with third parties.
Apps can retrieve and push data from and into Akeneo PIM through the REST API and events. Thanks to a step-by-step activation process integrated into the Akeneo PIM interface, anyone can connect an App to Akeneo PIM despite these technical interactions.
Got it? Good. Now, let's get started.
2. Getting started
To properly connect Akeneo PIM in or out, here are the steps you should carefully follow:
- First, choose your technical stack. At Akeneo, we will always praise for the use of our REST API. Why? Because the API is the most stable way to connect to the PIM: you will not suffer from migrations from a PIM version to another, as we guarantee we will not introduce any BC breaks in our API. Also, and it is quite important to keep it in mind, the API is the fastest way to push and pull data from the PIM. Get started with our API here.
- Then, please make sure you understand how our PIM works. You can get more familiar with its features over here. There are some features like Product Model or Reference Entities that are unique to Akeneo ; please acknowledge how they work if you consider building an extension for our Enterprise users.
- Last but not least, assess on how you will map the features of the 3rd-party solution with the PIM endpoints.
3. Go further!
To help you go through the development steps, our beloved core team has come up with thorough documentation that is worth the read! Check them out now:
- Guide to connect a DAM to Akeneo PIM
- Guide to connect Akeneo PIM to an eCommerce solution
- Guide to plug a translation solution with Akeneo PIM
- Guide to connect an ERP to Akeneo PIM
- Guide to syndicate your products through a feed management solution
- Guide to connect a Print solution to Akeneo PIM
Oh, and wait, there is more! If you're a proud PHP developer, we have a PHP client for you.
Now that you speak Akeneo as good as your mother tongue, you still miss an Enterprise or Cloud environment to run your tests and complete your extension? If you're not an Akeneo Partner already, get in touch with the team here, to become one and get access to our latest environments.
Still struggling with your developments? Should any question remains after reading the documentation listed above, feel free to reach out to us through our Helpdesk
And now, you should be all set!
Looking forward to seeing your extension in action!